APIViewer Plug-in for BBC BASIC for Windows
The following downloads are available:
- APIViewer plug-in (synBB4W) v1.40
- APIViewer plug-in with database update (synBB4W) v1.40
- Alternate APIViewer application (depreciated)
APIViewer makes programming with the Windows API much easier by providing a searchable database of all constants, functions, enumerations and data types. These declarations can be exported for use with a number of languages. The BBC BASIC for Windows plug-in enables APIViewer to generate BBC BASIC code which you can copy and paste into your own programs.
The API Viewer database was created from the Windows XP header files and contains information about approximately 6100 functions, 500 types and 52000 constants - more than the official Microsoft API database. Each of these is converted into BBC BASIC code by the synBB4W plug-in ready to be used in your programs.
From version 1.40 synBB4W is compatible with Vista and Windows 7, the alternate APIViewer has concurrent features to this version and is now depreciated.
Table of Contents
- Version History
- APIViewer Installation Issues
- APIViewer Database Manipulation Tools
Before running the synBB4W installer download and install APIViewer and the latest data update from the API Viewer web site. Once APIViewer is installed run synBB4W installer to install synBB4W and the LoadDLL library for BBC BASIC for Windows.
If you receive a warning that the plug-in is not certified click ignore to continue.
The latest version of synBB4W can be obtained from:
The following options are supported:
- The autosize declares option controls whether declarations are split over multiple lines or concatenation into a single line.
- The declare constants explicit option controls whether to include or exclude the FN_LoadDLL or GetProcAddress lines in declarations.
- The show params option controls whether declarations use FN_LoadDLL or GetProcAddress.
- The add constants and types automatically option has no effect.
- The sort clipboard list option controls how items are sorted for copying and pasting.
- The charset option controls whether to use declarations for ANSI or UNICODE.
Version 1.40 (11 April 2010)
- Ensured plug-in is correctly registered with Windows - ensures compatibility with Vista and Windows 7
- Uses the new BB4W naming convention - only prefix to avoid a keyword tokenisation clash
- Use the declare constants explicit option to include or exclude the LoadDLL/GetProcAddress line(s) in declarations
- Use the show parameters option to use FN_LoadDLL or GetProcAddress in declarations
- Declarations are no longer commented out
Version 1.30 (05 July 2006) :
- Added 'Auto Format' option for declarations and types
- Added preview code
- Tolerates database errors
- Improved type naming convention
- Fixed (NOT clauses
- Fixed names containing 'As Long' (WinCE)
- Split long constants over multiple lines
- Now generates all declarations
- Changed var As Boolean to var% in declarations
- Changed (^to$) to pstr (suggested by RTR)
- Functions explicitly state when return value is pointer to structure
- Fixed function declarations where final parameter is a structure
- Fixed unquoted aliases
- Fixed double comments at end of functions
- Fixed functions which return types
- Fixed SYS return types bug
- String type detection is a significantly more accurate
- Declarations correct Optional var = expr (SetWindowTheme)
- Enumeration formatting improved
- Removed excess terminators
- Now generates all structures
- Fixed sub structure declarations with comments
- Tidied comments (removed VB comment specifier)
- Added support for sub-structure arrays
- No trailing comma when type ends with comment lines
- Added support for arrays in the form '(expr To expr)'
- Removed redundant comments
Version 1.29 (05 April 2006) :
- First public release
APIViewer Installation Issues
APIViewer is compatible with Windows 95 or later including Vista and Windows 7. Some users have reported receiving Runtine Error '91' when accessing the Options dialogue. When the ApiViewer crashes with this Error, the "synVB6.dll" is missing. Please uninstall and then reinstall APIViewer choosing a full installation.
If the above fails or you encounter other problems you should ensure that you have the correct versions of the run-time files required by APIViewer. The system requirements are listed on the API Viewer web site.
Thanks to Christoph von Wittich for writing APIViewer and the following people who helped to test the synBB4W plug-in:
APIViewer Database Manipulation Tools
APVtoAPV ( Source )
APVtoAPV demonstrates how to read and write APIViewer database files and can form the basis of programs that create, modify or amend APIViewer databases. You might like to refer to the APIViewer database file format documentation which APVtoAPV is based on.
APVtoTXT ( Source )
Converts an APIViewer database into a text file. This file can be modified and later converted to an APIViewer database using TXTtoAPV.
TXTtoAPV ( Source )
Converts a text file created using APVtoTXT to an APIViewer database. The partially complete source code is available; warning this program does not work.